- This event has passed.
Rumi and the Celebration of Light
December 17, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am PST
When you see my corpse being carried, don’t cry for my leaving.
I’m not leaving, I’m arriving at eternal love…
You’ll see me descend into a grave, but know that I will rise.
How can there be an end when the sun sets or the moon goes down?
It looks like the end, it seems like a sunset,
but in reality it is a dawn.
When the grave locks you up that is when your soul is freed.
– Jalaledin Rumi
Join our vibrant community to celebrate Rumi’s Shab-e Arus or “Wedding Night,” his passing into union with the Beloved, and look ahead to the Winter Solstice as the dawn of a new age.
Inspired by Rumi’s message of living love, we will dance and whirl to infuse ourselves with light and emanate the healing balm of love into our troubled world.
We will begin with an introduction and a short guided warm-up, after which you will be invited to dance and whirl or sit in contemplation as you feel inspired. There will be no dance or whirling instruction other than the guided warm-up.
We will end with a short meditation followed by a sharing circle.
- Download zoom
- Make sure you have an unobstructed space of 5×5 feet or 1.5×1.5 meters to dance in
- Wear comfortable attire you feel beautiful in. White attire is recommended but not required.
- Have socks or soft-soled dance shoes nearby in case you need them.
Here are examples of soft-soled jazz shoes suitable for our dance: Capezio, and SoDanca.
- Hydrate by drinking plenty of water after the session and give thanks for the water.
- If you plan to whirl, make sure not to eat a heavy meal within 2 hours of our session.
- Prepare a place for yourself to sit in a short meditation at the end.